Friday, October 08, 2004

MC Complainsalot On Tha' Mic...

I picked up the new Roots album, "The Tipping Point", a little while back. I've been giving it some run and it's high quality, just like everything else they put out. There's one track in particular "Boom" where Black Thought (herein referred to as 'BT') just kills it, raps like an avalanche. I'm listening to this, hearing him spit 30 plus bars of hot fire before a chorus and wondering why doesn't BT get more shine for his rapping? Philly has a pretty prominant roster of MC's and if things were based on talent, BT would be on top. Honestly, who else is there? Freeway has his moments once you get used to his style, flow and the fact that his lyrics don't rhyme. Beanie Siegal? Nope. When I heard "The Truth" I couldn't stop thinking how his horrible lyrics compromised a hot track. If you rhyme the same word 5 or so times, is that the hot shit? Philly's Most Wanted? The Neptunes turned them into the Clipse, I'm sure of it. Cassidy? Skills, lyrically, for sure, but his pop star/Teen Beat mugging fucks up his credibility. So who else is there? Will Smith & Jazzy Jeff? "Summertime"'s a classic and I liked Jeff's recent solo. Doesn't matter, not when you boast about keeping your lyrics clean and introduced "getting jiggy wit it" into the middle-age suburban lexicon.

Honestly, I don't know the Philly scene that much. I just love to talk shit and think that BT doesn't get enough shine as an MC.

Expect a lot of posts like this. And by 'this' I mean wildly uninformed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home